Sunday, July 7, 2013

Forever Young - The Benefits of a Premature Death

The summer of 1978 was a turbulent time for my family.  I remember a lot of fighting and the fallout that it created, especially between my older brother Mark, who was 16, and my father.  My parents had divorced several years earlier.  The four boys were living with Dad, and my sister was on her own, having been married in December of 1976.  My mother was living alone in a small one bedroom apartment, and she was working as a waitress to support herself.  Dad was a successful mechanic, and he recently sold his service station to return to life as an employee.


Mark Anthony Callari Circa 1978
Mark was in the process of completing his sophomore year,  for the second time.  Let's just say he did not spend a lot of time studying or even attending high school during that time.  He was too caught up in his job at Publix, his motorcycle, and his constant drug use.  All of this culminated in a huge fight that took place sometime in May.  There was a lot of yelling and screaming, lines were drawn in the sand, and decisions were made that had lasting ramifications.  Mark was moving out, or maybe he was being kicked out, I honestly cannot remember.  I do remember saying good-bye to him on the front porch of my Father's house.

 

Our Final Good-bye

There was an awkward silence between us as the light from the street lamp dimly lit Mark's face.  He told me to, "be good," and I asked him to do the same.  We hugged, said, "I love you." to each other, and off he went.  That was the last time I ever saw him.

During the weeks that followed it was decided that I would move in with my sister.  My father's alcoholism combined with his failing marriage was causing concern for my welfare.  I was only 10 at the time, and I was not happy living with him and Peggy, my stepmother.

The Night of the Accident



June 26, 1978, 1:15 AM, the phone rang.  I picked it up, as did my sister, and we both heard my stepmother announce with great agony, "Mark is dead."  He was in a motorcycle accident, died upon impact.  

That night everything changed, forever.  Mark's life was ended prematurely, and in my heart and mind, his age was sealed at 16 going on 17.  Thinking back, I recall all of the discussion around what could have been for him, how much promise he had, how much hope we all had for him, all of which was crushed by single man that failed to yield the right of way to my brother.

At 45, going on 46, I look in the mirror and see a lot less hair on my head, and a lot more on the rest of my body, as well as a figure that has worn with age.  I am father of 4, married for almost 25 years to the same woman, an employee of Teleflex for over 12 years, and a Christ-follower since 1989.  35 years have past since that night in June, and my life went on.  Mark's was cut short.  He has no history beyond June 25, 1978, and I, along with my surviving brothers and sister can only imagine what might have been for him.

The Ripple Effect of Tragedy


The Callari Family Circa 1970
Our family pulled together as a result of our loss.  As surviving children we comforted each other, and we tried to comfort our parents as they dealt with Mark's untimely departure. There were many hours devoted to recounting stories that centered on him.  We rehashed and mourned the decisions that were made that led up to that day in June.  We blamed God, each other, and the man that ran the yellow light.  Ultimately we accepted his death for what it was, a tragedy of youth and the consequences of a fallen world.

In all of our struggles and tension, Mark
remained young.  He had moved on, and now it was time for us to do the same.  The memories we have of him were distilled down to the essence of good that remained of his spirit after it departed.  I imagine that this is how he survives in eternity, in a state that is glorified and free from the sin that stained his earthly body.


Our world is decaying, but in death we have life eternal, which I know my beloved brother is experiencing now.  I am truly grateful for the hope that I have in Christ, and I look forward to the joy that I will experience when I am reunited with Mark in the place where the streets have no name.

Have you dealt with the tragedy of a life that was taken prematurely?  How did you and your family respond?  Did something good come of it?  Are you still struggling to accept the end result?  Comment about this article and the questions asked below.

7 comments:

  1. Great writing! Got me thinking of my mom. Still get teary and its been 30 years ago.
    Thanks for the story. Keep it up. Have enjoyed reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly believe its been 35 years.
    Mark has been gone twice longer than he lived and it has taken most of these 35 years to get past the agony and survivor guilt.
    Now I take comfort in knowing that he waits for us with all his youthful energy, love and exuberance.

    As a younger man, I would push him off whenever he would appear in one of my dreams, but more recently I welcome and enjoy his presence. Apparently after all these years, the pain of his passing has finally subsided enough so that my heart can be open to him once again.

    Also, now that both our parents are also passed on, they have taken with them the residual blame and anger that I had harbored toward them, for allowing this to happen to my brother. His early death was predicated by their selfishness and immaturaty, which led to the failure of their family and his early demise. Please let that be a warning to you and yours.

    Dying young can be easy, but surviving can be hard and long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan,
    I still remember the phone call you gave to me, a young girl of 14, the week after Mark had passed. To this day it still breaks my heart. That was the very first time I had to deal with someone I knew that had died. As I read this my eyes were of tears as I never knew what had happen or why it happened. I know Mark is at peace now and so is his family. And tonight when I lay my head down next to my husband of 24 yrs. and hug my child, I too will be at peace.
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Monica,

      I am so sorry for not replying sooner. Thank you for this comment. You brought tears to my eyes. I have so many fond memories of you and Mark together. I am very happy to hear that you have been married for so long and have child.

      May God continue to bless you!

      Grace and peace,

      Dan

      Delete
    2. Hi Monica, it's Andrea, the neighbor you lived with for a few months back then. Nice to see you are married and have a child.

      Delete
  4. Interesting how some memories are etched in our brain forever. I remember that Sunday night. JJ and I were sitting in the kitchen when a knock at the front door was heard. We were shocked and scared when we saw the two policemen. They asked for your dad, proceeded to navigate to his bedroom. We heard shock, tears, fear and denial as your dad and Peggy desperately tried to process the information. JJ and I were equally in denial about the news. We got into my car, drove to Gary's home to deliver the news. He passed on a Sunday night and the funeral was on Thursday. Exactly like my mothers time frame. I took solace in feeling she now was showing him the ways in heaven.

    ReplyDelete